Plagiarism has been a global concern not only to academicians but also in the fashion and entertainment industries. An artist can decide to use a line or two from another person’s composition, a student might lack time to complete his work and when he gets online he finds a similar paper which he paraphrases and submits it as his own and so many critical instances that bring one to plagiarism.
The issue of plagiarism is hidden in the fact that people are usually unclear about where they have gotten their facts from. Plagiarism is considered an act of theft and is punishable because those found to commit the crime are dishonest. Being an act of dishonesty, those found to commit this crime are charged with theft of innovations and other people’s ideas and use them as their own compositions. Many people have sought to define plagiarism and the consequence that come when one is found guilty of plagiarism.
Tip: 9 vital facts that everyone should know with regard to the plagiarism subject.
- One fact about plagiarism is that not every article you find on the internet is protected by copyright laws. Most of the contents in online sites that are not protected can be accessed through other public websites and are common knowledge. However, this does not permit one to use the information without crediting the author. It is unethical to copy work of other people and not acknowledge them.
- Basing on statistics, plagiarism is most common in high-quality schools. Using the research existing in the US, most students have been unable to find the difference between research and plagiarism. It is for this reason that most of the students in high-quality schools are found guilty of plagiarism because they continue to use ideas of others as their own. Another misconception is that American students believe for them to perform well in their coursework, plagiarism cannot be avoided.
- Plagiarism has rules and sanctions and they are introduced to students upon admission to the institution. It is very common to find students being taken through the do and dont’s of assignments where plagiarism is also mentioned.
- When one is punished or may be found guilty of plagiarizing, the original author also suffers. The inventor of the material suffers because his rights to own intellectual property have been violated and this happens when those using his material as reference do not give credit to him. Apart from the original composer of the material, students and teachers around the person found guilty of plagiarism may also be affected because most of them change how they view you.
- In academic institutions, students found guilty of plagiarism are also given disciplinary action by being forced to take certain punishments. Every time you commit the crime of plagiarism, you can be sure of taking up punishments such as suspension or being expelled from school completely, financial payments to the victim and facing the school board to explain why you plagiarized.
- A heavy fact about plagiarism everyone should know is that regardless of whether you are aware or not aware of engaging in the act, it is a crime and it has laws protecting original owners of such documents against any form of crime.
- Most times students are presented with topics to write about by their instructors and most of these topics might not be appealing. In this case, students must be unenthusiastic to do them. When there is lack of enthusiasm to do such a paper, students would often plagiarize as the only initiative to complete the assignment.
- To avoid plagiarism, it is vital that students go over what they have developed as many times as they can to make sure what they have is original. To help students deal with these problems, there are software checkers that help eliminate the slightest forms of plagiarism and it is better to take the paper through this software to save you the heavy consequences of being guilty of the plagiarism crime.
- Having teachers actively participate in the research process of students has made it easier to minimize plagiarism. When teachers are actively following the work of their students, cases of plagiarism become less. Therefore teachers can help reduce instances of having students punished for a crime they intend to use for their benefit.
In as much as the internet has come to save us from the long search of information, more and more people are still being found guilty of the crime of not being original. While plagiarism continues to be rampant, there are many other ways in which the problem can be minimized.
One of the ways to ensure you are not found guilty of plagiarism is to use the online checkers that could help detect even the slightest forms of copy-pasted words. With these software tools, one can ensure he presents quality word. Another way to avoid plagiarism is by using citations every time you borrow an idea from a source. Citations help you prove that the words you have used are not your own.