How To Not Plagiarize facts ?
Cases of plagiarism are increasing fast and the trend at which students and writers and found with plagiarism call for immediate action of having policy makers and instructors address the issue from its roots as well as design consequences for the same. Plagiarism is assumed to be as a result of laziness and the easy access to information on the internet.
Nowadays all one needs is a computer and a connection to the internet and at the comfort of their beds, they can access any information. Because students are lazy to engage in a new research, they end up coping the material from the internet and submitting it as their own. With the rise of such like cases, if plagiarism is tolerated continuously then it would become a habit of students and other professional writers to take credit for the work of others.
Taking credit for another person’s work is a threat to innovation and therefore there should be a great urge to reduce the habit of people directly submitting the works of others. Preventing plagiarism should be everyone’s concern because it does not only affect the plagiarism but the original author is much more affected as well as the third parties concerned.
Doing away with plagiarism in the academic world
In the academic world, preventing theft of intellectual information is very vital. Most times, students continue to submit plagiarized work but their instructors watch and tolerate such actions. Presently, students are slowing bringing in the act of intellectual theft into other aspects of learning from doing assignments, to writing essays and even thesis writing. Because learners have mastered the art of intellectual theft, virtues such as taking time, being patient and using effort to achieve papers that are original have been eliminated.
For students, it is more convenient to copy the original words of another writer and paste them on their documents for submission because doing an individual research takes a lot of time and effort which they do not have. In simple terms, by submitting copied works, learners desire to be free from the effort that should be used to achieve hard work. For this reason, plagiarism still remains a vague idea and the definition of the term is also not very clear to the public to an extent that policy makers are not so familiar with it.
Instructors have been placed at the center of the issue as the key persons who should be tactical at lessening instances of plagiarism. This is so because teachers have a greater opportunity compared to parents and policy makers to influence learners directly at the mention of eliminating intellectual theft. Because plagiarism deals with the theft of intellectual information, teachers are the best in eliminating the instance because they are able to exercise authority over their students.
Way Instructors can help to reduce plagiarism
- Instructors are placed at the center not only to punish students who commit plagiarism but also motivate them on how beneficial it is when one produces work of originality.
- Motivation could be accompanied with the use of incentives every time learners give original work.
- Other than motivating them, instructors could help eliminate plagiarism by using plagiarism checkers online and in this way they can prove which work is original and which one is not.However, instructors should know the limitations of using these software because plagiarism is not all about material that is copy pasted.
- Instructors also have another option of giving students specific instructions such as using particular primary or secondary sources or using sources that are not more than five years old.
- Instructors are also presented with the authority to have their students cite references properly in a manner that the format used in the middle of the paper should be same in the reference section.
- Students should also be encouraged to consult with their teachers on what they should do to make their papers professional. Because students have the tendency to live up to their instructor’s expectations, they might be forced to steal ideas and used another person’s subject matter in their research. To respond to this issue, academic institutions together with professionals should create a grading system that applies to all students with regard to how fast they finish their papers.
At the end of the day, instructors still have the greater burden in making sure plagiarism is dealt with although students and faculties also have a role to play. Learners have to slowly consider the consequences of intellectual theft and make sure they do their research properly to avoid suffering from the same effects.
Copyright laws : Effective tips for avoiding plagiarism
There are copyright laws that protect the original authors of information from theft and anyone who violates these laws must face certain consequences. Copyright laws in the business world use trademarks in brands to avoid having their concept stolen.
A single violation of this law in the business section could be as a result of imitation. In as much as people would want to blame the theft of ideas on technology, the larger fault is on people who do not want to use much effort to achieve.
To reduce plagiarism, the issue should be dealt with from its roots and familiarize the public with consequences as a way to prevent it.