Writing an assignment is not done just for the purpose of writing but rather for showing exceptional combination of borrowed ideas with your own and incorporating the sources from which your opinion has been borrowed. In as much as one needs to show his ideas, instructors expect learners to engage in thorough research in a process that is clear in bringing out their ideas. While these processes seem easy, there is always a form of uncertainty that comes in the way of students are they formulate their research papers.
How can I make sure the ideas and arguments of others are incorporated in my topic and still include the sources where I have borrowed from? It is very possible to combine your ideas and the arguments of another author and form an original discussion. However, every time you use another person’s ideas and fail to acknowledge them, you are said to have committed an academic offense. Regardless of whether you have changed the wordings from the original source, a citation is still needed. Citing as a way of giving credit to authors is necessary because it is one of the ways one can avoid committing intellectual theft. To have a stronger ability to overcome the challenge of information theft, the information provided below could become a great resource when compiling a research paper that maintains originality.
- Prepare and plan well for your paper. Before engaging in any form of writing, it is vital that students learn how to prepare and make plans for their entire research. This stage is necessary for the study because it enables a researcher to clarify on what ideas and arguments he will be incorporating in his paper. The planning and preparation stage is equally crucial because it makes one narrow on the scope of study and beat all limitations.
- Prepare an outline. After narrowing on your subject and knowing what you will incorporate in your paper, the next crucial step is developing an outline. An outline basically contains the statements and details that will be discussed in-depth in your paper. An outline is a skeleton of your final paper and includes details arranged in order of facts. This is also a great step learners must follow if they wish to stay away from the harsh consequences of being found with plagiarism.
- Sort out your notes. Like we have mentioned before, writing a paper involves a lot of researching. In order to have your assignment done with professionalism, it is necessary that one notes down all the facts and details that they wish to borrow from other authors. This step is very crucial because it helps the writer indicate significant information that needs to be cited and references as the writing continues. The referencing and citation in this phase could help learners be sure to avoid any instances of plagiarism.
- Expound on your notes. As you find other people’s ideas to work on, it cannot be doubted that personal ideas will keep cropping. While these ideas develop, do not forget to write them down to show an expansion of your ideas. This process will make your writing easier. In doing this well, you can choose to use different color pens to separate single points from notes addition and you can be sure to again avoid plagiarism.
- Seek counsel. Writing process is not an easy task especially if writing and creative thinking is not your everyday duty. Not only do you have to follow all the above steps but a very significant step in your writing process should be talking to an adviser. Matters of plagiarism are sensitive and information from your advisors could offer a lot of help. Regardless of what method of clarification was used as you joined college, be sure to seek counsel.
The writing stage
The pre-writing process is crucial but after it, there is the actual writing which is even more sensitive. In the writing phase, always remember to state your references. Acknowledging the writer does not mean that he does not have enough information but it means the words that follow the citation have been borrowed. Every time you are stating a fact, using statistics or using quotation marks, be sure to follow all these with a citation. At the same time, in the event of uncertainty, it would be better to also mention references. Uncertainty does not mean that the author depended on other people’s ideas, but it means that the fact has been given by that particular writer. Stating references is the most appropriate way to avoid plagiarism. Plagiarism can occur at any instance even when you choose to cite. To completely avoid accidental plagiarism, be sure to consult with your professor on the proper formats for citation and the particular one that applies to your paper. Also, when writing your paper, be sure to give your audience the impression that you have the ability to present an organized paper with different opinions borrowed from a list of authors and still maintain the flow of your development.